Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Winter in San Diego

Wait! Snow in San Diego?

Yes! We do get snow in San Diego county.

This was the scene about an hour's drive up into the local San Diego mountains, after this past weekend's storm just dumped a couple of feet or more in some spots.

This is Cuyamaca Lake, which is about 6miles from the town of Julian. It sits at an elevation of around 4,600 feet. As you can see, it was a winter wonderland.

This was the most snow I have ever seen up there. The snow level was consistently up to my knees and it certainly gave my legs a good workout. But it was well worth the effort.

This was shot just before sunset. It certainly changed our perspective of what we usually are accustomed to seeing up that way. It is always fun to shoot a scene you are so use to and when a rare weather event happens, it is like visiting the same place for the first time again.

What's the best part about all of this? In an hour, I was back in 60 degree weather.

4 comments:

GStotts March 3, 2011 at 2:09 PM  

I love this one Charlie. The blues reflected in the lake contrast nicely with the brown/orange scrub brush in the foreground and the mountain top in the distance. Nice symetry. Did you get any tighter shots of just the trees reflected in the lake? That's such a strong part of this image. And the fact that didn't have to be there at sunrise was indeed a gift. Congrats my friend.

Charles Frey March 3, 2011 at 5:36 PM  

Greg,

No. I did not get any tight shots like that here. I was tired of "walking" through knee-deep snow. Good idea though!

Thanks for the comments!

Frank B. Baiamonte March 5, 2011 at 11:45 AM  

It looks like Greg beat me to the comment about how well the blue, brown and orange colors all work together. I like this.

Charles Frey March 6, 2011 at 12:58 PM  

Greg and Frank,

I made sure the blue stayed in the shadows. I really liked the blue a lot in the evergreen trees. I used Alienskin's Exposure 3 plug-in to process this.

Exposure 3 is a great plug-in which emulates old film looks unbelievably accurate.

About Me

San Diego, California, United States
Thanks for checking out my photography blog. I am a photographer from America's finest city, San Diego, California. This blog is just a regular update of what I am photographing or what catches my fancy, when I am out and about with my camera. So subscribe and stay up-to-date with my latest photographic adventures.

Followers

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP