Wednesday, February 3, 2010

B-39 Soviet Submarine Control Panel

Here's a photo inside a former Soviet Russian Submarine, called the B-39. It is now on permanent display at the San Diego Maritime museum.

Obviously, one of the challenges of shooting inside this submarine is the tight, cramped quarters and also the lack of much light. It is also pretty tough to keep photos pretty simple, when composing them. So, I decided to embrace confusion. Wouldn't you be confused when you saw all these dial, valves, knobs, switches, etc...staring at you?

This is the control panel in the diesel engine compartment. I shot this with my new Carl Zeiss 21mm f2.8 ZE Distagon lens. What a fabulous piece of glass it is! I am shooting this right as you enter this compartment. You can actually see the next space at the bottom right, which I believe in the actual engine room. So you can see how tight the space is.

My focus for this shot was the panels. I decided to basically shoot this straight on and use the red wheel, which stands out prominently in this photo. That gives the eyes a comfortable to rest. Now, what does this wheel actually do? Hmmmmm...

0 comments:

About Me

San Diego, California, United States
Thanks for checking out my photography blog. I am a photographer from America's finest city, San Diego, California. This blog is just a regular update of what I am photographing or what catches my fancy, when I am out and about with my camera. So subscribe and stay up-to-date with my latest photographic adventures.

Followers

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP