Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Heading Out

This was a recent photo taken this past weekend, out at the Salton Sea. The Salton Sea is located in the Imperial Valley, in Southern California and it has a very interesting and strange history behind it. It was formally called the Salton Sink, until a flood caused by the waters of the Colorado River in 1905-1906 created the Salton Sea. You can read more about the Salton Sea at Wikipedia.

One very important function the sea serves is it is a stopover for migrating birds. During the Winter months, hunters and bird-watchers head out to this area. In this photo, some skittish coots are taking off into the vast, open Salton Sea. That is a very common theme out in this area. There is a lot of...well... nothing.

I was trying out my new Zeiss 21mm lens I received this week. It is a superb piece of glass and I think it will eventually make me compose photos even better than I have in the past. One thing great about prime (fixed focal length) lenses is that it will train your eyes and make you put much more thought into your compositions. With zoom lenses, it is easy to be lazy or fall back into your normal compositions which you have done time and time again, in the past. I think this lens will make me see things differently. By the way, this lens is superb in quality and I can certainly shoot without worrying about any quality issues.

0 comments:

About Me

San Diego, California, United States
Thanks for checking out my photography blog. I am a photographer from America's finest city, San Diego, California. This blog is just a regular update of what I am photographing or what catches my fancy, when I am out and about with my camera. So subscribe and stay up-to-date with my latest photographic adventures.

Followers

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP