Friday, November 27, 2009

Sentinel Rock


On my recent trip to Yosemite, one of my aims was to target the area around the Merced River. Then, as I approached these areas, my aim was more targeted to finding spotlit trees in fall foliage on a sand bar. I know. Getting picky, am I?

The area where I took this from was very close to Cathedral Beach. Now, I went past Cathedral Beach many times, and each time I went, it seemed the light wasn't right. Well, that is if I was looking back the opposite way, towards the imposing El Capitan. When we finally pulled in to park the car, myself and my friend found a group of painters on Cathderal Beach (it's a big sand bar), all facing towards El Capitan. So what did I do?

Well, I walked down the opposite way and noticed this sand bar  receiving some nice light. When you check this area out, you will see there are other prominent rock features, which can be photographed from this area. One of them, you see here, is Sentinel Rock.

When you approach this area, make sure you have your graduated filters and polarizers handy. This is a tricky exposure, especially if you do not have any filters. The light on this sand bar was only around for a couple more minutes, until it disappeared into the shade. So I had to move fast to get into position. I think it was well worth the effort. This is also a photo which I think will look great in black-and-white.

During the autumn months, you can get these vantage points along the Merced River, unlike in the spring, when the waters are much higher and much faster flowing.

0 comments:

About Me

San Diego, California, United States
Thanks for checking out my photography blog. I am a photographer from America's finest city, San Diego, California. This blog is just a regular update of what I am photographing or what catches my fancy, when I am out and about with my camera. So subscribe and stay up-to-date with my latest photographic adventures.

Followers

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP